Monday, April 12, 2010

Pictures Anyone?

So we've been told once, twice or a hundred times to put up a couple (read: lots) of pictures. Since we've successfully waited almost a full week since Harlen's birth, we figure now might be a decent time to show everyone what we've been doing. We didn't take pictures of the feedings or the (lack of) sleeping, but most of the rest is in here.

This is us the morning of the induction (4.6.2010). We called the hospital at 7 a.m. to let them know we'd be coming in, then arrived at 8 a.m. to complete registration. I slept about 2 hours the night before, and Emily got ZERO. I guess it is hard to sleep when you know the life that you've been supporting for 39 weeks, 1 day will be supporting itself in just a few hours. We had to rouse Haiku for the picture. She didn't seem to have any trouble sleeping.

The Pitocin started flowing at 9 a.m., thanks to our delivery nurse and Life Groupy Amanda Lee. Things progressed enough by 9:30 that Doc Wells broke Emily's water and said, "You're having a baby today." And then we waited. And waited. And I ate lunch. And then waited. Dropping by the room before delivery were family friends Shanna Andrews, Lauren and Rowdy Fuston, Amanda's husband and son Chad and Jackson (respectively), Emily's sister Grace and Drew's parents, who drove in from Arkansas in the morning.

Our friendly anesthesiologist, Doc Shui, gave Emily a much needed epidural around noon. Despite his reputation for poor bedside manner, we were able to connect through a conversation about Office Space, which we had playing in the room. Emily was a champ, letting her pain level get to a seven before getting the needle. A quick check at 3:45 showed more progression but we were a ways away from having a kid. Amanda kicked up the Pitocin and stuck Emily on an oxygen mask to make sure she and Harlen were getting enough O2.

At 4:45, Emily called for an extra dose of epidural juice when she was feeling uncomfortable due to increased pressure. Acting on a hunch, Amanda shoo'ed all the visitors out of the room and did a quick check. Analysis: progression complete. After a long day of waiting and slow progression, Emily went from a 5 1/2 to complete and the kid was practically dropping out by herself. Despite Amanda's claim of, "you're about to have a baby," Drew took the opportunity to saunter out to the waiting room and update a few people. Unbeknown to him, Doc Wells was on Drew's heels as he headed back for the delivery room a few minutes later. After 15 minutes of setup, and 15 minutes of pushing -- Emily was incredible, I've never seen anything like it in the world -- Harlen Olivia Crowell joined us at 5:16 p.m. Per our request, she was immediately tossed up to Emily's now deflated belly for some prime skin to skin contact.

She weighed in at a less-than originally anticipated but solid 7 pounds 6.5 ounces and 20.08 inches long. Here she is in all of her post-delivery grimy glory.

A little bit better dressed. Luckily, modesty came quickly.

After we arrived in the post-delivery room.

She is the most beautiful gift God could have lent us, and we trust fully that He will take care of her, even as we struggle through trials and errors as first time parents.

As I said in the beginning of what has become a lengthy post, she's been here for almost a week so we'll update within the next day or two with info about her first few days at Casa de Crowell.

1 comment: